An inspirational video clip "Counting Your Blessings"
"No matter how hard it seems at first - grit your teeth and persevere." - Prof Ashton
"Benzo withdrawal symptoms do diminish in time, but only get worse if you stay on the drugs." - Prof Ashton
"It is important to realise that no permanent damage has been done." - Prof Ashton
"All sorts of neurological tests in cases like yours have shown that the muscles are normal." - Prof Ashton
"Symptoms are worsened by anxiety and fear." - Prof Ashton
"You can return to normal health." - Prof Ashton
"You must keep a positive attitude, be courageous." - Prof Ashton
"Allow time for your nervous system to recover. It will."- Prof Ashton
"The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it."
"The secret of patience is doing something else in the meanwhile"
"Every path has its puddle"
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
"One may not reach the dawn save by the path of the night."
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."
"Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams."
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." ... Buddha
"Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through
me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where
the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. ' - Frank Herbert
'If I had a formula for bypassing trouble, I would not pass it round. Trouble creates a capacity to handle it. I don't embrace trouble; that's as bad as treating it as an enemy. But I do say meet it as a friend, for you'll see a lot of it and had better be on speaking terms with it." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes
"The important thing is to take that first step. Bravely overcoming one small fear gives you the courage to take on the next."
"No matter how wonderful our dreams, how noble our ideals, or how high our hopes, ultimately we need courage to make them a reality. Without action, it's as if they never existed."
"If you summon your courage to challenge something, you'll never be left with regret. How sad it is to spend your life wishing, "If only I'd had a little more courage." Whatever the outcome may be, the important thing is to step forward on the path that you believe is right."
"The only way out is through" - The Benzo Group
"Come to the edge," he said. They said, "We are afraid." "Come to the edge," he said. They came. He pushed them . . . and they flew. ~ Guillaume Apollinaire Comment "Reminds me so much of what I needed to learn...and as much as I hate what I am going through and have gone through, somehow I know I am thankful for it. If I can get through this...I can get through anything. This is how I have learned courage...how I have learned to keep moving even when I feel like lying down and surrendering. "
"Suffering, once accepted, loses its edge, for the terror of it lessens, and what remains is generally far more manageable than we had imagined." - Lesley Hazelton. Comment "For me this is so true. Seven months ago, before I stopped Klonopin, if someone were to tell me that I would be able to not only live through, but gain knowledge from the myriad of symptoms I have had over the past six months, I would have thought them insane. I was DEFINETELY NOT that strong. I used to think of myself as strong willed, but unfortunately weak in spirit I now know that nothing could be farther from the truth. This experience, although given the choice I would obviously choose not to have had, has opened my eyes to so many things about myself. Now when presented with a challenge, and some days that just means getting out of bed, I try to never think "I can't". I know that I had thought that in the past, and the reality is "I CAN"God Speed "
- Fall seven times, stand up eight. Japanese Proverb
- "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
- "There are no gains without pains." - Adlai Stevenson
- "There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative." W. Clement Stone
- "You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination." Ralph Marston
- "For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else" Winston Churchill
- "A man is but the product of his thoughts what he thinks, he becomes." Mahatma Gandhi
- "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
- "The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible."
- Trust in yourself. Your perceptions are often more accurate than you are willing to believe. Black, Claudia
- Do not fear mistakes- there are none. Davis, Miles
- Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. Cicero
- One learns by doing a thing; for though you think you know it, you have no certainty until you try. Sophocles
- Do the thing you are afraid to do and the death of fear is certain. Emerson, Ralph Waldo
- The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time. Lincoln, Abraham
- Many of us spend our whole lives running from feeling with the mistaken belief that you can not bear the pain. But you have already borne the pain. What you have not done is feel all you are beyond that pain. Kahlil Gibran
- Every exit is an entry somewhere else. Stoppard, Tom
- The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely. Jung, Carl
- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. Stevenson, Robert Louis
- Stop thinking and talking about it and there is nothing you will not be able to know. Zen Paradigm
- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that things are difficult. Seneca
- There is the risk you cannot afford to take, and there is the risk you cannot afford not to take. Drucker, Peter
- Trust that still, small voice that says, "This might work and I'll try it." Mariechild, Diane
- Saying no can be the ultimate self-care. Black, Claudia
- I was taught that the way of progress is neither swift nor easy. Curie, Marie
- You've got to find the force inside you. Campbell, Joseph
- I need to take an emotional breath, step back and remind myself who's actually in charge of my life. Knowlton, Judith
-"Swallow a toad in the morning and you will encounter nothing more disgusting the rest of the day." ~Nicholas Chamfort
- "Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left." ~Hubert Humphrey
- "Every thought is a seed. If you plant crab apples, don't count on harvesting Golden Delicious." ~Bill Meyer
- "If you have the will to win, you have achieved half your success; if you don't, you have achieved half your failure." ~David Ambrose
- "If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it." ~Mary Engelbreit
- "So often time it happens, we all live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key". ~The Eagles, "Already Gone"
"Deep peace of the running wave to you
"When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
It's gonna take some time this time
By Karyn Milos 1999
One example is "Faith of The Heart".
"t's been a long night
By Sharon Conway
When I heard the news, my hands began to shake
No, this could not be true; there must be some mistake.
I guess I've always known, life has no guarantee
But, I could not admit that this was happening to me.
When I went to bed, I cried myself to sleep
Then tossed and turned all night, and prayed my soul to keep
Yet, when the morning came, and things were still the same
Well, I knew then and there that it was up to me to change.
Now, you can hear me sing; my hat is in the ring
I'm gonna run the race until it's over.
All bets are off tonight; I'm gonna fight the fight
Make no mistake; I'm gonna run the race.
Now, I live each day, as though it were my last
I cherish all your love, each moment lying past
So, when I greet the dawn; a smile is on my face
As long as I've a breath to take I'm gonna run the race.
Now, you can hear me sing; my hat is in the ring
I'm gonna run the race until it's over.
All bets are off tonight I'm gona fight the fight
Make no mistake; I'm gonna run the race!
"Healing is an energy phenomenon. Hope is another word for Healing."
"Cracks in the concrete are just reminders that you fall apart no matter how strong you are"
"Sometimes it is best to forget what you feel and remember what you deserve"
"I'm going to smile like nothing is wrong, talk like everything is perfect, act like its all a dream, and pretend its not hurting me."
Three passions have governed my life:
The longings for love, the search for knowledge,
And unbearable pity for the suffering of [humankind].
Love brings ecstasy and relieves loneliness.
In the union of love I have seen
In a mystic miniature the prefiguring vision
Of the heavens that saints and poets have imagined.
With equal passion I have sought knowledge.
I have wished to understand the hearts of [people].
I have wished to know why the stars shine.
Love and knowledge led upwards to the heavens,
But always pity brought me back to earth;
Cries of pain reverberated in my heart
Of children in famine, of victims tortured
And of old people left helpless.
I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot,
And I too suffer.
This has been my life; I found it worth living.
adapted - Bertrand Russell
Disclaimer: The information contained in this website was not compiled by a doctor or anyone with medical training. The advice contained herein should not be substituted for the advice of a physician who is well-informed in the subject matter discussed. Before making any decisions about your health or treatment you should always confer with your physician and it is always assumed that you will do so.
Last updated 21 July 2020